Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Israel:God is Real

Israel: God is Real

So, I was sitting on the Mount of Olives the other morning. It was early, deserted and I was alone. Listening to Matthew 23 & 24, I was looking down on the Temple Mount, Garden of Gethsemane and the Kidron Valley. 
My imagination ran wild. From this vantage point, I could have seen Abraham with Isaac on the altar then Solomon's shining temple and his priests unable to stand due to the Shekinah glory. I am looking at the ancient epicenter of the world. Nebuchadnezzar, Alexander and Vespasian all approached this city.
With binoculars, I could see Jesus turn over tables and Peter preach. 
Over there, just outside the Damascus Gate, a day would come when three crosses stood and a grave was rented. 
Can you imagine?  The awesome 10th Roman legion of Titus marching up that valley to lay siege at the Temple where not one stone would remain. 
In 1967 I could have watched the Jordanian army vanquished from the Old City when the Wailing Wall became the Western Wall. Another step was taken to fulfill the promise that the Holy City would no longer be trodden underfoot by Gentiles. 

Looking forward, without moving an inch, I could see the anti-Christ announcing a phenomenal peace treaty between Israel and Islam to build another Temple, where he will proclaim himself to be God.  
Two witnesses (Elijah & Enoch?)  will be slain here and will resurrect live on CNN!
Only meters from where I was sitting, Jesus will return to march through those sealed Golden Gates.
End of story. (At least until the New Jerusalem descends from Heaven.) 

I hope to be successful in creating a passion within you for Israel. 
Remember three-quarters of the Bible is about Israel and the Jews. Nearly every Bible book author is Jewish.
The Bible does not make sense if Israel does not exist.
Israel does not make sense if God does not exist.

Here's Why: There is a built-in blessing found in Genesis 12. At a macro-political level, this fact is driving world events in amazing ways. (Because the reverse is also true).
When I was about eight, I overheard my parents saying that Jews were not allowed in the country club. That puzzled me. It was not until years later that I came to grips with anti-semitism and its spiritual roots. 
Satan seeks to insult God in any way possible: Evolution, gay marriage and abortion are all Hell's way of saying: "You are not Who you say You are."
It follows then that since the Lord has unilaterally picked Israel as His chosen people that they are born with a bummer of a birthmark, a bullseye for the devil. As Tavia said in Fiddler on the Roof: "Couldn't you have chosen someone else?" 

I do hope you will all consider a lifelong understanding of and dedication to Israel.  
  • Israel is a weathervane of prophecy
  • Israel is a barometer of the return of Jesus
  • Israel is a tangible, touchable proof of scripture                             
As Bible students, to one degree or another, you are familiar with the classic defenses of Bible truth such as intelligent design, esthetics (beauty) or ontology (nature of being). 
Worthy pursuits all, but why overlook a real physical proof of what we believe? One you can fly to and walk around?
I am concerned that there is a good bit of Israel illiteracy in the current flow of Bible teaching; A general aversion to verse-by-verse Bible teaching is an observable fact. One leader of the 'Frat Pack' actually said, "Verse by verse teachers are lazy."  Oh man, I can hear Pastor Chuck in my head.  He is saying something about not shunning to declare the full counsel of God. 

Yeah, David and Goliath get taught a lot, but that is also true in Sunday school.....  I digress. 
I want to be sure to communicate how powerful, majestic and awe-inspiring Israel is to me.  Let me be clear, current Israel is not the issue, they are secular, profane and in large part ungodly. 
Yes, I respect PM Netanhayu, the IDF and what the Jews have accomplished, but the larger issue is how this minuscule nation has survived and thrived while surrounded by enemies with 500 x the manpower and land. 
It is ancient Israel that has remarkably been maintained for us and is proof of His power. 
Peter's house, Pilate's stone, the Dead Sea Scrolls and yes, the Jesus Boat, are a few of hundreds of places I have walked that confirm what I read in my Bible.  You cannot make this stuff up.
It seems to me that we would be anxious to use Israel as proof of Bible truth. To do so, we must be thoroughly conversant in its history, up to date with its situation and devoted to delving into its mystery. 

Zechariah (12:3-5) said: "Israel will be a stumbling stone to the whole world." And so it is. Israel has had more United Nations resolutions of condemnation than any other country. Ever.  In one year, the UN issued 24, 20 of them were against Israel, ignoring Iran, North Korea, and Venezuela. 
There is a reason for that. 
These are some of the causes for my dedication in traveling to Israel so much, teaching about it and creating a half-dozen documentaries. 
Israel is an undeniable testimony of God's faithfulness. 

Psalm 137:5 If  I forget you O Jerusalem, let my right hand cease to function. May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you if I do not exalt Jerusalem as my greatest joy!

I know there are questions, such as the Palestinean issue, Islam and reverse racism.  (In fact, many Israeli citizens are Arabs who support Israel).

Nonetheless: 
Israel: God Is Real 
Shalom

-->
Chip 

No comments: